Ramen is something I was introduced to in New York and the zing is addictive, I have been experimenting with recipes since. Quite a simple, spicy dish with healthy ingredients, this will fulfill those savoury cravings and warm your cockles on a cold winters night.
- 1 egg
- 200g Ramen Noodles (I used Udon noodles for this recipe)
- 2 chicken fillets chopped, or
- Fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 350ml chicken stock
- 75ml Soy Sauce
- 1 carrot, cut into thin sticks
- Chinese 5 spice
- Juice of 1/2 a fresh lime (optional)
- Pak Choi, sliced
- Cook noodles according to packaging (most ramen noodle styles take 10 mins or so. When they are ready to eat, drain and set aside.
- Boil an egg for about 7 mins for a soft (not runny) middle.
- Spray a frying pan or wok with frylight. Add chicken pieces and allow 5 minutes to brown
- In a saucepan, make up the stock and add soy sauce, garlic, ginger, 5 spice and chilli flakes. Add the carrots and chicken, bring to boil and then allow to simmer for 10 mins
- Add noodles to the mix for the last 2 mins, squeeze in the lime and top with the chopped spring onions and a half of a soft boiled egg, and serve
There are many tweaks for this dish. Some people use beef, veggies can leave out the meat and enjoy. Chopsticks optional! :)