When I started slimming world and as I became more educated about the choices I was making, Granola was one of those foods that I found out was typically much higher in sugar and fat than originally believed. So, I put it on the ol' "block list" and skimmed past it when I saw it in supermarkets.
Nutri-Brex reached out to see if I'd like to try their granola and to come up with some fun ways to use it. They had two varieties: ‘HONEY, ALMONDS AND SEEDS’ and ‘HAZELNUT, COCONUT AND QUINOA’.
This granola has 50% less sugar than typical granola, is high in fibre and is packed with superfoods (almonds & grains), it sounded appealing - but step one was to check it on the slimming world app. It was more than reasonable at just 5 syns per 25g, so I got the thinking cap on, and came up with 5 ways to use it with slimming world.
1. Breakfast Bowl with toasted granola - 4 syns
This is a comforting breakfast as we get into the colder months. Not to mention, your house will smell delicious with the toasty cinnamon filling the air.
- Fruit of choice (I used banana, pears, blueberries and clementines)
- Fat Free greek-style natural Yoghurt
- Pinch of cinnamon powder
- 20g Nutri-brex, honey, almonds and seeds.
- Spray a small frying pan with frylight
- Add the granola and the pinch of cinnamon
- Toast for 3/4 minutes until the granola is golden
- Slice fruit as desired and pop into a bowl
- Add a dollop of fat free greek toghurt
- Sprinkle the toasted granola on top and enjoy!
2. Banana, Choc Shot and Granola Pops - 1.5 syns each
These are fun to make, ideal for a late night sweet treat. A decent substitute for an almond magnum :) if you have kids they will love these too.
Serves 4 | 1.5 syns per Pop
- 2 Bananas
- 25g Nutri-brex almond, honey and seeds granola (5 syns)
- 4 tbsp Sweet Freedom Choc Shot (2 syns)
- Peel the bananas and cut in half.
- Spread the choc shot onto a bowl or plate
- Gently roll the top of the banana into the choc shot, until evenly covered.
- Sprinkle the granola over the chocolate covered area.
- Place on a container, cover with cling film and put in the freezer for 3-4 hours.
3. Oaty Cinnamon Flapjacks - 1.5 syns each
For this recipe, regular oats make up the bulk of the recipe, with the granola acting as a crunchy topping. Enjoy these with a coffee as a breakfast, or an on the go snack.
- 80g Porridge Oats (2 x Healthy Extra)
- 25g Nutri-Brex Hazelnut, Quinoa & Coconut, (5 syns)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 muller light yoghurt (vanilla and dark choc)
- 2 heaped tbsp granulated sweetener (1 syn)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg. Add the sweetener, vanilla essence and muller light and mix.
- Fold in the oats and cinnamon until well mixed.
- Spray a loaf tin with frylight or line with baking paper
- Pour in the mixture, ensuring an even spread
- Sprinkle the Nutri-brex evenly on top of the mixture
- Bake in the middle shelf for 20 mins or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool, cut into 4 rectangular pieces.
4. Overnight Oats, Fruit and Granola Jar - 2.5 syns
In the morning, the oats will have absorbed much of the yoghurt, and the granola crunch on top really packs a punch. This will give you a hearty and filling start to the day.
- 40g Porridge Oats
- 1 Heaped Tbps of Nutri-brex Hazelnut, Quinoa & Coconut, Granola
- Fruit of choice (I went for sliced pears, banana and blueberries.
- Any syn free yoghurt
- Layer oats, yoghurt and fruit in that order.
- Add Nutri-brex as your top layer
- Pop in the fridge overnight
5. Chocolate Crunch Pear Bites - 1.5 syns each
It's super simple to make these little bites, and they are a perfect snack if you are craving something sweet. Not to mention, pears are a speed food. Make sure your pears are nice and ripe, so that you don't lose a tooth :)
- 2 pears
- 4 teaspoons of Sweet Freedom Choc Shot
- 20g Nutri-Brex Granola
- Cut the two pear sides just off the middle to avoid the core.
- Add a teaspoon of crunchy granola to each
- Drizzle a teaspoon of choc shot on top.
If you would like to get your hands on Nutri-Brex, you can buy it Ocado, Asda, Morrison’s and directly from www.nutribrex.co.uk
NOTE: This post is sponsored, but all opinions and recipes are my own. Syn Values are correct at time of posting and to the best of my knowledge.