Anyone that has ever been to Nando's will know how ridiculously good their Spicy Rice is and at only 3.5 syns per portion you can't go wrong if you're going there for a meal. However, with the right combination of spices you can create a slimming world spicy rice which is just as tasty, and is also syn free.
Ingredients: (Serves 2)
150g Rice of your choice
500 - 600ml of Water
2 Chicken stock cubes
1/2 an onion - finely chopped
1/2 finely chopped red pepper
A handful of frozen peas
1 green chilli or chilli of your choice deseeded and finely chopped
Chilli power - depending how spicy you like it
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Turmeric
- On a medium heat spray a pan with some frylight and dry fry the rice for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the rice starts to brown slightly, Add some water, (just the bare minimum to cover the rice) chilli power, crush chicken stock cube and turmeric.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer gently until the rice is fully cooked and all the water has been absorbed. Stir often to avoid it sticking to the pan!
- In a separate pan sprayed with fry light, add the onion, red pepper, frozen peas, green chilli, crushed chicken stock cube, cumin and paprika.
- Once everything is cooked add to the rice and stir thoroughly.